THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Sunday, July 6, 2008

.:: STaTe LeVeLS DeBaTe (pics) ::.



Mood: A little sleepy, just woke up after sleeping the whole evening.

Before anything else, I wanna say that I FINALLY
managed to find the 2nd paper of accounts and my marks for paper 2 was:
70/80
Well, considering I didn't finish my 2nd question (11 marks),
It's all right I guess.
Luckily, I managed to do until where d 2nd question earned me around 6 marks.
So all together,
(36+70) / 120 X 100 = 88

Anyway, last Thursday,
My school's debate team represented Kuantan for the
STATE LEVELS debate in Temerloh.

My debate team consists of:
GOV Leader: Banun (also known as the youngest)
Gov 2nd: Marjan (Mama Chicken)
Opp Leader: Faiz (Papa Chicken)
Opp 2nd: Qian Wen (sister-like speaker and
is opposite poles with Marjan. Yes, we love to argue.
Its what we do, that's what debaters are.)
Rebutter: Ishwaar (Papa Chicken 2. Dont ask.)


The bus left in the morning, (we shared a bus with the drama team)
around 9.30 am
Before that, we were all in the TRC busy with our scripts.
The trip there ate 2 hours, I think.
When we reached Temerloh (we were expecting Temerloh to be VERY ulu)
we were awed that they had buildings like Maxis
and Happy Fried Chicken (HFC) not KFC.

Then, we left CIVILISATION and entered the jungle
where SMK Tualang was.
To get to the girl's dorm,
we had to climb down 4-5 flights of stairs,
which nearly cost us our lives,
just to find that...


we had to climb another 4 FLIGHTS of STAIRS upwards!!
With Banun's huge luggage and tons of other stuff to carry,
it was annything but easy.
By the time we reached the dorm,
we were all sweaty, tired and panting.
We took a bath in the lovely cold showers
(that's the only place we loved in the dorm)
and then laid down to sleep,
unfortunately that didn't work.

So scratch all those unhappy thoughts,
later, we gathered at the 'pondok'
and we found out we were the only school staying in the dorms,
because the other districts either drove here
or were staying in hotels. (lucky them!)


We did practice in the open-air and had all those
muslim students (it's an 'agama' school, I think)
staring at us,
especially during my turn cos we were loudly arguing
the POIs.



Me presenting at the pondok


Marjan


Okay, I did not approve of this picture being taken





Debating OUT OF TOPIC about hati & jantung
during MY TURN to present my speech.
Starts with Marjan POI-ing.

Anyway, that night I went home (Kuantan) because thanks to
measels, I'm not supposed to eat any OUTSIDE
food for the next three months!
Just have to make sure I don't see anyone eating delicious foos.
Thank God though, because during the briefing,
the facilitator said that the place was 'keras'
(that's how they say haunted in Malay?)

She also said,
"Jangan berpeleseran dengan kawan-kawan kamu,
nanti kamu akan nampak seorang yang nampak macam
kawan kamu tapi BUKAN kawan kamu"
Wasn't that convinient?

The next day,
Mum drove us back and practiced a little
before the competition started around 2pm.
It was held in the canteen of SK Tualang.

The motion was:
THBT Science is a Threat To Humanity

Ishwaar drew opposition,
and so Faiz and me went up.
This is how it works,
if government gets picked,
then Marjan and Banun goes up.
If Opposition gets picked,
Me and Faiz go up.
Either way,
Ishwaar has to go up because he's the 3rd speaker.



WHY AM I the ONLY ONE listening to the 1st speaker's speech?


I know I'm smiling,
but I was actually damn nervous.

Because it was held in the canteen,
it was really hard for me to project my voice.
Ishwaar and Faiz didnt seem to have any problems,
cause they're guys. Sheesh.

Eventually, we won that match.
And Ishwaar (the LOUDest and MOST CONFIDENT)
got the BEST SPEAKER.

After the competition,
I went to stay with Mum and Pink at
Hotel Bukit Bendera.
(also because of the 3 months after measels thingy)
Its a nice place, with a lovely swimming pool.
Unfortunately,
no contact with chlorine water for sometime.


The way to the rooms.
Our room was 102.


Scenery outside the room. Nice rite?
I had to refrain taking pictures of the room
because I know Marjan and Banun would be dead jealous.

That night,
we practiced in the dorm cafeteria.
Everyone was kinda dead tired,
and I was kinda moody cos all my brain cells
were half asleep. (Yes that happens)
So, when my turn came,
I totally blasted out my voice,
and in return got a lot of stares from the asrama girls
coming in to take supper.

By the time we were done,
it was 11.30pm
and by the time I had dinner and everything,
it was 1 am.
I planned to wake up at 5.50 the next morning
to memorize both my scripts
(because I'm doing reply speech too)
but unfortunately, I woke up at 6.50!!
And by the time I had breakfast,
it was 7.20 and the comp starts at 8!!


Had to rush like mad and I was praying that
OPPOSITION wouldn;t get picked.
BUT it did.
So I totally counted on the 1-hour quarantine time to memorize.
In the end, I had to cover up with my own words.

The motion this time:
THBT A Successful Nation is Dependent Upon ICT Savvy Citizens

This time, it was held in a classroom.
Good news for me because it's easier to project my voice,
plus, knowing that I could blast my voice thanks to the night before,
I was pretty sure the audience could hear me this time.

We also managed to win that match!
Which means, only finals left!!
Suprisingly for this round, the opponents DID NOT POI.
And the best speaker...
went to ME! Omg!
Mainly because my timing was near perfect:
7.59 out of 8 mins
and 4 minutes on the dot.
(according to Mum's stopwatch)

Then after some rest,
we went to prepare for the finals!


In the 'cafeteria'.



I think I was saying something here.

Anyway, to cut straight to the point...
The next day, FINALS!!
Against Bentong!

The quarantine time was really funny.
Even the JPN officers were laughing.
GOVERNMENT got drawn,
so me and Faiz didn't have to go up AT LAST!
*phew*

The Motion:
THBT the Development of Quality Citizens is
Dependent Upon the Freedom of Media

Yea, I know. Stupid motion.
Bentong was kinda good, in some parts.
But in the end, WE WON!!
Not only that,
but for DRAMA too!!

In the end, Kuantan
WON EVERYTHING
(drama, debate and public speaking!)
Cool huh? I love my district =)


Drama team and their trophies.


Debaters =D


Dramatians and Debaters of SABS!!

And when I reached home...
OMG. Moral folio!!
And notes! Owh well,
might as well get started.

2 memories:

Anonymous said...

a word 'congrats' might not be able to mean much, but still, CONGRATS!

and hope you can manage ur time better for the national competitions..

Resha Lim said...

Thanks a lot! D word 'congrats' does mean a lot =P Yea, hopefully, we'll fix that time management problem.